Sunday, May 3, 2015

Roasted Young Potatoes with Celery, Garlic and Celery omelet with Croûtons

Happy Sunday to everyone!!! I hope you all have a fabulous day today!!! Today's recipe was a mere experiment in the kitchen and, honestly, to my great surprise it turned out fantastic. I don't know why I haven't used celery previously in different recipes. I haven't even expected it to go so well with potatoes or as an ingredient for an omelet! Here in Armenia, celery is mostly used as an inseparable ingredient in picked vegetables, but never in meals. I've always known that the celery was a very healthy vegetable but didn't know how to incorporate it into my diet. Earlier today I asked my husband to do some grocery shopping and together with all the food he brought a bunch of celery instead of spinach (hahaha .... yes, you are right, he confused it somehow, I can't imagine how a person could possibly confuse spinach and celery, but anyway, he is hilarious :) :) :). To cut the story short, I decided to prepare something with that bunch of celeries and prove it to him that I can make something delicious even with celeries. To tell the truth I wasn't completely sure if it would turn good enough to write a recipe post about it, but to my great surprise it turned out awesome. I am glad I took pictures of it. The dinner was approved by all the members of my family!!! If you have never tried anything like that before I recommend you to try it. I assure you, you'll be pleasantly surprised!!! The celery gave the potatoes and the omelet a very delicious and piquant flavor. From now on I am going to buy celery more often to experiment with it and find more ways of incorporating it into my diet. This is the final look of the ready meal.  If you are interested how I cooked it, just keep on reading the recipe below! :) :) :)


Now let's talk about the recipe. You'll need the following ingredients for the meal.
  • young potatoes (1 kg)
  • celery ( 2 cups of chopped celery stems, don't throw the leafy parts, we are going to make a delicious omelet with it :) :) :) 
  • eggs (4 medium range)
  • garlic (5 cloves + 2 cloves for the omelet)
  • coriander (2 tablespoon of chopped coriander)
  • green (spring) onions (2 tablespoon of chopped green onion), you can also use a regular onion
  • vegetable oil (4 tablespoon + 2 tablespoon for the omelet, if you think this is not enough you can use more, just use as much as you are used to)
  • salt (to your taste)
  • black pepper (1/2 teaspoon, use more if you feel like it)
  • paprika (2 teaspoon)
  • chili (1/2 teaspoon, you can use more)
  • cumin (1 teaspoon)
  • wholewheat bread for croûtons (8 slices) 
This meal will serve about 4 portions.


Now let's talk about the instructions:
  • First of all wash the young potatoes under warm water and scrub it thoroughly as we are not going to peel them. If the potatoes are not even in size, cut the big ones in half so that they get cooked during the same amount if time! 
  • Drizzle the pan with vegetable oil, put in on the heat and add the potatoes. season them with salt, black pepper, paprika, chili, cumin, give them a good stir and cook them under the lid for about 15 minutes. Stir them from time to time. 
  •  Meanwhile chop the celery stems into 3-4 centimeter chunks. Keep the leafy parts, don't throw them as we are going to make an omelet with it.

  •  When the potatoes are half cooked add the chopped celery and the garlic cloves cut in halves. If you are using regular onion too, add the chopped onion, as well. I am not using onions because some of my family members, can't tolerate it. If I were cooking only for me, I would have definitely added onions to it. Then I added a little bit of more paprika, as I love the taste of it so much. :) :) :) 

  • Cover the lid and cook it for another 15 minutes on a low heat. After 15 minutes or so, open the lid and roast the vegetables with he lid open until they get perfectly roasted. Be careful not to burn the garlic. It has a tendency to get burned very easily. And hen it is burnt it can spoil the dish by its bitter taste.  

  •  Meanwhile chop the leafy parts of the celery the coriander and the green onions to make the omelet. Start preparing the omelet while the potatoes are being roasted, so that the potatoes and the omelet get cooked on time to be served together. 



  •  Drizzle another pan with vegetable oil, heat it a little bit and add the chopped garlic cloves (you can also add chopped onions if you like sautéed onions) and roast them a little bit. Then add the celery leaves, a little bit of coriander and green onions and cook under the lid for a few (2-3) minutes. Turn the heat off and let it cool down a little bit. Meanwhile whisk the eggs with a little bit of salt, black pepper, chili, and paprika. Add the cooked celery leaves into the egg mixture, stir it thoroughly and pour it back into the heated pan.  

  •  Cook the omelet for a few minutes as you usually cook an omelet. Make sure you have cooked it through.
  • As you cook the celery omelet, keep an eye on the potatoes and make sure you don't burn them. As you finish the omelet, the potatoes and celery stems must be perfectly roasted. Turn off the heat and sprinkle them with chopped coriander and green onions.


  •  Everybody in my family loves croûtons, so I decided to prepare some to go with the meal. To prepare croûtons, all you have to do is to roast the bread slices on a pan drizzled with a little bit vegetable oil.  And voilà, the dinner is ready! This is how my plate looked. A piece of omelet, a bunch of roasted young potatoes and celery stems, croûtons and a little bit of ketchup. 


I hope you will like this meal as much as liked. :) :) :) I hope you had a lovely weekend! :) :) :) Bye!


Flag Counter

2 comments: