Tuesday, March 17, 2015

Cream-soup with Yellow Peas and Potatoes and Garlic Croûtons

Hi everyone! :) Today the weather was quite gloomy and wet, so I decided to prepare something soothing, but, of course, delicious. I chose to cook some palatable and comforting cream-soup with yellow peas and potatoes. As always, it turned out very delicious and I decided to share it with you.
Here are the ingredients for the recipe:


  • yellow peas 2 cups (I have already cooked the dry yellow peas in plain water for about half an hour or until the peas are tender)
  • 4 medium-size potatoes (chopped in medium cubes)
  • 2 cloves of garlic + 2 cloves of garlic for the croûtons
  • 2 (500 ml) cups of concentrated chicken broth + 4 cups (1000 ml) of water
  • 1 full tablespoon of chopped coriander
  • 1 teaspoon of dried basil (I couldn't find fresh, you could freely use some fresh basil)
  • 1/2 teaspoon of black pepper
  • 1/3 teaspoon of chili (you can use more and make the soup spicy, but I have a toddler so avoided putting too much) 
  • 1 full teaspoon of paprika
  • 1 teaspoon of ginger powder
  • salt (to your taste)
  • 2 tablespoon of vegetable oil (use olive oil if like) + 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil  for croûtons
  • wholewheat bread (or any kind of bread you like, I am using black rye bread)

Let's start cooking step by step :)



  •  Drizzle your cooking pot with 2 tablespoon of vegetable oil and put it on the stove (cooker). Add the cubed potatoes and the chopped garlic and roast them for about 3-4 minutes. Then add the yellow peas, all the spices, salt, chopped coriander and the dried basil. Give it a good stir and cook for another 2 minutes.

  • Add the chicken broth and the water and let it boil. Here my son, Karen, decided to join me and stirred the soup for a couple of times. :) :) :)  Then lower the heat and cook the soup under the lid for about half an hour or until the potatoes are fully cooked.
  • When the soup is ready put it aside and let it cool down a little bit before you blend it with a blender. Meanwhile you can make the croutons. All you need for garlic croutons are: bread, some kind of vegetable oil and, of course, garlic.
  • Slice the bread into pieces and roast them in a pan with a little bit of oil. When the slices of bread are crisp enough let them roast on the other side. It will take only a few minutes.

  • When the croûtons are cooled enough not to burn your fingers take a clove of garlic and give them a good scrub on both sides. The croûtons will absorb the flavor of garlic immediately because they are quite hot. You can chop the garlic croûtons into smaller pieces.

  • Meanwhile the soup will cool down enough to be blended. I'm using my kitchen device which also has a blender in it. You can use any kind of blender you have.

  • Here is how I served my bowl of cream-soup. I cut the croûtons in smaller pieces and added chopped coriander on top.
 
I hope you enjoyed this cream-soup recipe. If yes, feel free to share it and leave a comment beneath. :) :) :) You can also follow my blog for new updates. I write new blog posts several times a week. Have a good day! :) :) :)

  Flag Counter

1 comment:

  1. That was a delicious cream-soup. What do you think about it? :)

    ReplyDelete