Friday, March 13, 2015

Crispy and Fresh Lettuce Salad with Grapefruit


Hello everyone!!! Today I decided to share an easy but quite delicious salad recipe with you. The salad comprises very few ingredients, but it will surprise you with its flavorful taste and crunchy texture. In general,  I don't follow any particular salad or dish recipe. Everything I make are just pure improvisations. Today I decided to make this salad just because I found these ingredients in my fridge and in the pantry. I hope you will enjoy it as much as I have done.


All you need are:
  1. cabbage 150 g (gram)( I am using red cabbage without any particular reason, but you can use any kind you want, white cabbage will do just as well)
  2. carrots 2 medium size, 150 g 
  3. red onion (half of a medium onion is more than enough)
  4. lettuce (I'm using a bunch)
  5. coriander (a small bunch will be enough)
  6. grapefruit (a half of it is quite enough, if you choose to use more I'm afraid the salad will taste too bitter and sour. If you don't mind it then go ahead and use a whole grapefruit.
  7. black and red pepper (as much as you like, I am using a pinch of black pepper and half of a teaspoon of red pepper)
  8. salt ( to your taste)
  9. olive oil or any particular vegetable oil you like (2 tablespoon)
Now I will show you step by step how to make the salad.


These are all the ingredients of my salad.



  • Slice the cabbage into  thin and long pieces and grate the carrots. Slice half of the onion too (you can use a quarter of an onion if you don't like the taste of onion too much). I am using my kitchen device for slicing and grating the cabbage and the carrots, but you can easily do this by a knife and a cutting board, it will make no difference in taste. I just prefer using this kitchen device because it saves me a lot of time and energy.

  • Peel the grapefruit with a knife and get only the pure flesh of the grapefruit. You don't need the white thin skin around the grapefruit because it has has a specific bitter taste. If you leave the white parts the salad may be too bitter. If you don't like the taste and flavor of a grapefruit you can use an orange or a lemon. These citruses give the salad their delicate fresh odor and flavor.
  • Tear the lettuce into pieces with your hands and add to the vegetables (I advice you to tear the lettuce with your hands and not to cut with a knife because it helps the lettuce to be more crunchy and fresh ). 
  • Cut the coriander and add to the mixture.

  • Add the pieces of grapefruit.

  • Season the salad with salt, black and red pepper. 
  • Sprinkle with olive oil and give t a good toss.

The salad is ready! Put it into a nice plate and serve it. I recommend you to serve the salad immediately while the lettuce is fresh and crispy!!!

I hope you enjoyed this fresh and light salad recipe. If you have any questions feel free to write in the comment section. If you try this recipe I'll be glad to know your opinion about it. I am looking forward to your feedback! Bye !!! :) :) :)

Flag Counter

1 comment:

  1. Have you tried this recipe? If yes, leave a comment beneath. I'll be glad to know you opinion.

    ReplyDelete