Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Mashed Potato Stuffed Pies

Hi my fellow readers! Today I made some delicious pies stuffed with mashed potatoes which was highly requested by my family members and decided to share it with you. I won't dare to say that it s a healthy recipe (because it includes some deep frying ***:)*** ) but you can treat yourself from time to time right? :) :) :) I usually like to eat light, healthy food but occasionally, like all the human beings, I allow myself to have a guilty pleasure!!! I'll also tell you that this recipe is quite time consuming, so I recommend you to prepare it on a Sunday or on a day you don't plan much to do. So just bare with me! :) :) :)


Now let's start making the pies. Here are the ingredients you need to prepare it.
For the dough:
  • flour (4 cups)
  • water (2 cups)
  • yeast (8 gr)
  • granulated sugar (1 teaspoon)
  • salt (1 teaspoon)
  • vegetable oil (1 tablespoon) + 400 ml for deep-frying
For the stuffing:
  • potatoes (about 1 kg)
  • salt (to your liking)
  • black pepper (use as mush as you like, I'm using a pinch)
  • paprika (1 teaspoon)
For these amount of ingredients you will get about 20 pies. 





Now let's start from the dough.
  • Take 8 grams of yeast and 1 teaspoon of sugar and dissolve it in 1 cup of warm water. Let it sit there for 10 minutes. Meanwhile take a bowl, add the dry ingredients; the flour and the salt. Mix it together, add the yeast and water mixture and 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil. Mix it with a spoon and add another cup of warm  water until you get dough with a soft and plastic consistency. Cover the dough with a plastic film. Cover the bowl with a lid and place it in a warm place for the dough to rise and rest for about 2 or 3 hours.
  • Now let's make the stuffing. Cut the peeled potatoes into medium size cubes. Pace them into a big pot add water just enough to cover them and boil them until they are soft and tender. It will take you about half an hour. When the potatoes are ready add salt, black pepper and paprika. Mash the potato thoroughly and let it cool a little bit. 

  • Now let's start making the pies. Cut the dough into 20 pieces and form dough balls. Sprinkle the counter top with a little bit of flour, place a dough ball, flatten it with you fingers (you can also use a rolling pin) and shape a circle. Put the stuffing on top, take the edges and pinch them together. You can give them different shapes; you can make triangles or give them the shape of an envelope or a ball. 

  • When the pies are already formed you can start deep frying them. I don't have a special deep frying machine so  I am frying them in a deep pot. If you don't have one either take a deep pot, pour about 400 ml of vegetable oil (don't use olive oil to deep fry, it will burn easily, take a vegetable oil that will allow you to fry in a high temperature. I'm using sunflower oil). 

Here you can see how my pies with potato stuffing turned out.  Everybody in my family loved the pies. Here is the picture of my plate of pies with a little bit of ketchup. I needed to add a little bit of sour taste to it !!!


I hope you enjoyed it. Have a nice day. Bye!

Flag Counter

No comments:

Post a Comment